Thursday, January 14, 2021

Kung Fu Blood Sugar Highs

So another week started and finished. The long range punches aggrivated my right shoulders hooked acromium. It impedes on the shoulder tendons and when you are practicing 1,800 punches you can easily reactivate an old injury. So when I use my right shoulder for full swings I need to do fewer reps for a longer timeframe to build up the muscle memory that we are trying to develop. Wish I was doing this in my 20's but this 50 year old body is making this process interesting, in the bad, not fun, kind of way. I had to do the same thing training for my marathons. It seems the process of everything that I want to do is to overcome all the obstacles that keep me from doing them. Marathons and Kung Fu have fallen in the same pattern of developing a problem, finding a solution or work around, then do it again. Sifu and Simu have been demonstrating alternative positions and more variety to help. They have been doing this on the fly, so to speak, and I've been very impressed with them, their patience and their experienced knowledge. There are 12 different punches and there are 9 different kicks in Choy Lai Fut Kung Fu. I've learned four of the kicks over the last two days. My hip flexors are now broken and I've discovered little, teeny, tiny muscles in my legs that I never knew existed. I've done Boot Camp, I've done soccer, cross country and marathon drills to find and strengthen "the tiny muscles in the leg that always lead to injury so we will beat them up and make them strong so you don't get injured." Well, I've never used these muscles in any of the above workouts so I don't think anyone out side of Kung Fu knows about these muscles. At all. Like they have never been used by me before. Like ever! I've found stretching and walking are really the best way to get these muscles back to normal. I takes awhile but it does work. I've noticed my blood sugars go UP during Kung Fu. Not down. It does drop hours afterwards but this spike was completely unexpected. I tried more basal but I am on multiple daily injections so this is troublesome to figure out. I've been pretty good overnight but on most Kung Fu nights I go high for a long time. Last night (after class) I took a little too much Fiasp so at midnight I was at 45. Not fun. It has been a really long time since that happened. The non training night before I was around 100 to 130 all night. I'm MDI and finger sticking this because I cannot afford a consistent CGM system. The Libre is horrible. I don't know about the Libre 2 but the 10 day and 14 day versions of the Libre 1 are crap. Besides, if and when we get to sparring again, the sensors will get in the way. Just another day in a COVID paradise. Be safe out there! Stay healthy and be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment