Monday, January 25, 2021

Choy Lay Fut training is really long.....

All these different punches and kicks! Just finished learning the first 9 kicks. Started to kick the bags finally. You start with practicing kicking the air. That is 2,700 kicks. Then you do it all over again with kicking the bag. The dynamics of kicking the air to learn position, posture, rooting or grounding and just to get used to lifting your legs when all I've ever lifted was a toe to tap with whatever song was playing or the gas or brake pedal in my work truck. Jeesum! I hurt. I only did 300 front snap kicks on the bag today. So 3,000 kicks. Oh Joy!! I've learned that I'm left footed I guess. When I kicked with my left leg there was no problem but when I used my right leg there was no power, no ease of movement, and no strength. Kung Fu is teaching me how imbalanced I am. Not just this body. My life. I thought I was doing good. I am. Better than when I was 30 for sure. Just that I haven't "arrived" yet. It is the "yet" that keeps me going in my life. Will I ever "arrive"? Probably not. But not because I didn't try. The process of learning Kung Fu is making my weak parts stronger. The Type 1 insulin dependence is still a learning process. I keep starting at 150-ish and 15 minutes after any length of workout and I'm flying in the 200's. I've been doing research and have found out that Kung Fu (and any combat martial art for that matter) is a "anerobic" activity and unlike aerobic activity which lower blood suger, anerobic activites raise blood sugar but you get a drop in blood sugars long after the training. This information from "The Diabetic Athlete" by Sheri Colberg, Phd has been very helpful to me. Gotta go get some rest. Next class is Wednesday! More Kicks on Bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment