Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Kung Fu start up.

On December 9, 2020 I did my first Kung Fu class. The Simu (female instructor - say "See Moo") asked many questions that didn't make sense at the time. The first question was, "Do you want to start on Day 0 or did you want to start on Day 1?" I asked what the difference was and she said that Day 1 is the start of Kung Fu training. So I said, "Day 0 please." Today, December 15, 2020 was Day 1 of Kung Fu training. I'm certain that the monks that created this martial art are turning over in the graves and are truly dissapointed in the physical state this 53 year old body is in. With intense struggle and failure I did finish Day 1. This is the learning of the stances day. I know nothing of any martial art training. I told Simu on my first day that my mind is a blank slate and to write on it. She did today. I have run 3 marathons. Hiked mountains. Dealt with what I thought was pain before but this was very different. Holding low and high stances for 5 minutes each doesn't sound hard but until you try it, you have no idea. While holding each stance I am being given a run down of the how and whys of this stance. I kept breaking, falling, losing balance. Just making a mess of it. She kept me going. Gave pointers on holding, tilting pelvis, imagine your foot is a sandbag. She truly gave a lot of help to distract me from my pain and uncomfortableness. To try and help me hold each stance. My left knee injury was not helping. I over extended my knee joint a few months back. When we did the stances "backwards" and the weight was shifted to the right leg the positions became way easier to hold and maintain. We covered 7 stances: Horse, Front Cross, Crane, Arch, Cat, Rear Cross, and Horse again. Then we did the stances front and back seven times. Simu then taught the greeting and awaiting instruction motions and positions. Some "spin blocks" for inside and outside attacks with my arms in horse stance. I really need to strengthen up. I believe this will help my recovery in my legs. This balanced training and working out I hope will help me get better. Running in this body of mine is not the best thing. Here's hoping to a better 2021. Good night COVID!!

No comments:

Post a Comment